Modern

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Walmart Grocery Shopping: Day 1

I said I'd report back as to how my goals were going, and so far, I have:
  • Started a book
  • Talked to the leader of my Bible study group about the upcoming semester and my involvement in it
  • Gone grocery shopping at Walmart
Not bad for my first few days.

So, here are some of my first impressions about shopping at Walmart...

1. I don't know my way around the store, so it took me at least twice as long to find what I needed. This is frustrating to say the least, but definitely something that can be overcome.

2. The prices are cheaper on pretty much everything. Plain and simple.
There was one item that was on special at Publix, so I told the cashier, "These pizzas are 2 for $10 right now at Publix, so can you price-match?" He didn't even say a word - or look up from his blank stare at his register - just nodded and typed a bunch of things on his keyboard until they rang up for $5 a piece.

3. There were a few things the didn't have. I was surprised to see the entire crate of avocados empty. Not one single one. I was going to ask someone in the produce department to check in the back for today's shipment, but I couldn't find anyone. They were also completely out of Hawaiian rolls. The whole shelf was empty. Again, wanted to ask someone for help, but there was no one in site. Apparently there was a huge avocado Hawaiian roll fiesta here last weekend.

4. It was convenient to also buy toilet cleaner, greeting cards, a birthday gift and some other odds and ends while I was there, and know that I was paying a lot less for those items than if I had purchased them at Publix, or even Target for that matter.

So, to sum up my experience thus far...Walmart wins in the price and convience category, but loses in the friendly, easy-to-find help category. I don't think anyone will ever beat Publix in the friendliness area, but at least I'm saving money, right?

I'll report back soon with my first book review and where I have been working hard at being more appreciative. Stay tuned friends!

No comments: