Modern

Sunday, January 5, 2014

This Week's Menu

I've broached the topic of menu planning several times on this blog. You can read about it here and here.

I am a firm believer that if you plan ahead for at least 4-5 simple meals per week, you will save money and decrease your grocery bill.

My dad has challenged me to start grocery shopping at Walmart this year. Did you know that they will match any BOGO deal that Publix has? I had no idea. So, I am going to attempt doing the majority of my grocery shopping at Walmart for the month of January. Then I'll report back and let ya know if I am going to stick with it, or return to my old "rusty trusty" Publix.

Okay, back to meal planning.

I thought it might be helpful to post my upcoming menu for the week in case you are looking for some simple meal ideas for your family.

Of course every family is different, and some kids are pickier than others (I'm fairly sure I have the pickiest eaters on the planet!) so adapt as necessary, definitely make it healthier if you kids will go that route, and please share with me any adaptations that worked well with your family.

Here's our menu for the week:

Monday

Tuesday
  • Crock pot beef stroganoff served over egg noodles (see below for super-easy recipe)
  • Green beans
  • Crescent rolls
Wednesday
  • Mini Cuban sammies
  • Black beans & rice (the boxed Zatarain's version, not my cook-all-day-homemade version)
Thursday
  • Deconstructed turkey tacos - 
    • I use the McCormick's taco seasoning & ground turkey, cook according to directions, then combine with shredded cheese rolled up in soft tacos for the kids. For me and Brian, I make a taco salad and serve it with whole grain tortilla chips.
  • Corn


Crock-Pot Beef Stroganoff
  1. Spray Crock Pot with cooking spray.
  2. Dump in desired amount of raw cubed beef (usually it will be labeled "Beef for Stew" or you can get a larger cut of meet and cut it into cubes yourself).
  3. Season beef with salt & pepper.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 envelope of Lipton's onion soup mix and 1/4 cup milk, stir well to combine, then pour mixture over beef.
  5. Let cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours. Beef should be fork tender when done.
  6. 20 minutes before dinnertime, mix in 1/2-1 cup of sour cream (depending on how thick you like your sauce).
  7. Serve hot over egg noodles.
I hope this menu helps get your planning off to a good start. If you have any ideas or recipes you'd like to share, please leave me a comment.

No comments: