Modern

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Recipe: Black Beans & Rice with Mojo Chicken

Ever since moving to Tampa, I have acquired a real love for Cuban food. We have some amazing Cuban restaurants here and one item I always love to try is the black beans & rice. Fortunately for me, all 3 of my boys love this dish too! So I've come up with my own version of this popular dish, but my version is probably much easier and quicker than anything you'll find in an authentic Cuban kitchen. So, bare with me if you have any Cuban heritage. :)

First up, I like to add chicken to my black beans & rice. But this is a totally optional step. If you prefer a vegetarian version, just skip the chicken and it will be just as delicious!

I buy the frozen chicken breasts at Publix when making this (and several other crock pot recipes). It's a lot cheaper than the fresh chicken and it's a lot quicker and less messy. For our family (which includes 2 little eaters) I only use 2 breasts. If you are feeding more adults, you may want to increase the amount of breasts.

I put the frozen breasts in the crock pot and cover them with the Publix Mojo marinade. Goya also makes a delicious Mojo, but the Publix brand is less expensive and tastes really good!

I turn the crock pot on high and let it cook until the chicken shreds easily - about 4 hours.
Remove the chicken and shred it in a bowl. Set aside. Discard the remaining Mojo marinade, but do not clean out the crock pot.
For the actual black beans & rice recipe, I just follow the instructions on the back of the Goya black bean can. The only adjustment I make, is that I only add 1/4 cup of water, because I prefer my black beans to be a thicker consistency.
Here are the ingredients:
*Make sure you get this particular Sazon Goya - it absolutely makes the dish! You can find it with all the Goya products at any grocery store. And make sure you either get the large can of black beans, or two smaller cans.
(I buy frozen, pre-chopped onions & green peppers - major money & time saver!)

Literally dump all the ingredients into the crock pot and cook for a couple more hours, or until the onions & peppers are cooked and soft.
About 30 minutes before you want to eat (I do it right before I bathe the kids) put the chicken back into the crock pot with the black beans.
Heat through and serve over the Goya yellow rice. I also usually serve it with fresh Cuban bread. YUM-O!
I hope this becomes a regular recipe around your family table too.

1 comment:

The Jackson 5 said...

Yum! Sounds great, but for some reason I can't find mojo around here!!