Modern

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Boys' Birthdays - Part 1

It's kinda funny when people ask me when my kids' birthdays are. 
I say, "Oh, they're both in February. Only 4 days apart actually." 
That usually gets me some pretty funny looks. 
Then I say, "Oh, 6 years and 4 days apart." 
Then I get really interesting looks and comments like, "Oh wow... 6 years apart, huh?" 
Yes, 6 years and 4 days apart. 
Apparently I have a two-week window each year when I am fertile. Ha.. ha.. ha..

When I first found out I was pregnant with Parker, I thought it was almost unfair to Payton that he would have a sibling born so close to his birthday. I immediately thought of shared birthday parties, stealing the limelight, etc. etc. How small-minded of me.

Not only did Payton love sharing his birthday with his little brother this year. He BEGGED me to allow him to go into Parker's room this morning so he could wake him up and sing "Happy Birthday" to him. What an incredible kid he is.

But before we celebrated Parker's birthday. We "did it up" for Payton's special day. Friday wrapped up his "Validation Week" at school where he got to bring in a poster telling all about himself and then bring in a toy each day to share with the class. Brian, Parker and I all went to school on Friday and brought him cupcakes at lunchtime.
The cupcakes were made by Publix, but the little "Minecraft toppers" were made my me (they just don't make Minecraft party decor yet).
We checked him out of school after lunch and he and Brian immediately left for Fort Wilderness at Disney for a Cub Scout camping trip (more on that in another post). They didn't get back until Saturday afternoon. So I had plenty of time to decorate!

With all the hustle and bustle I forgot to take pictures of the exterior of the house, but we had a sign and balloons hanging from the garage and balloons on the mailbox. It was very festive!
On Saturday evening, we celebrated Payton's birthday and he opened up his gifts.
Yes, I did have a bout of temporary insanity and bought him a "Paper Jam" electric guitar.
Reading his new Pokemon book with Paca...

On Sunday, we had all the grandparents in town and celebrated both of the boys' birthdays with a little cookout and cake.
 Once again, Publix did a great job making a Minecraft Creeper cake:
 
 Brian manned the grill...
 Lots of food for everyone! Thanks Dad for making the yummy dips!
 
 And then we had cake!
 
And I'll just end this post with one more special birthday picture of my big 7-year old:
It was a very special weekend, and a very fun day! Happy Birthday boys, we love you both so much!
(P.S. More to come on Parker's birthday celebrations...)





No comments: