Modern

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Simple Burlap Wreath Tutorial

I've been in love with the wrapped burlap wreath look for quite some time.

Problem is...they're expensive!

For example, this adorable wreath is $50 on Etsy, plus tax and $15 in shipping.
Burlap Wreath with Gray Chevron Burlap Bow- Front Door Wreath- Monogram Wreath-Wedding Decoration- Wedding Gift-






I decided that I could definitely figure out how to make one, so I searched YouTube and there are in fact, several tutorials on how to make this exact wreath.

Problem #2... I didn't have the right kind of metal 3-tired wire wreath form that you need in order to make this type of "bunched" burlap wreath. All I had was my grapevine wreath that I've used for several years now:





So I decided to just make due with what I had and see how it turned out.

Fortunately, I think it turned out really cute!

Here's what you need:

  • A wreath form of any kind
  • (1) 10-yard roll of 6" burlap
  • Floral wire
  • 1 roll of thick wire ribbon
  • Optional: an MDF letter spray-painted any color of your choice
1. First, simply take the burlap and wrap it around the wreath. I did a twist on top each time I wrapped it to give it more bulk.


 2. Once you've wrapped it completely around the wreath, cut the end and use the floral wire to secure it inside the wrapped burlap (use the wire almost like a needle & thread).

 3. I used this YouTube tutorial on "How to Make Wreath Bows" which was very simple and helpful.


4. Then, again, I used my floral wire to secure the bow to the wreath poking the wire through both the ribbon and burlap and securing it with tight twists.
5. I think the wreath looks great just like this, but if you choose to add a letter, place the letter wherever you like, and secure it with the floral wire. I didn't want to be able to see the floral wire (which is green) so I painted over the wire with white paint.
In this close-up picture, you can still kind of see the wire on the middle right-side of the H and the bottom left of the H.
Voila! You've got a beautiful new wreath that can be changed out with the seasons that cost a LOT less than the store-bought version.

Here's my breakdown of costs:
  • Wreath (free - already had it)
  • Burlap $7 (on sale at JoAnn's)
  • Ribbon $1.59 (on seasonal clearance at JoAnn's)
  • MDF letter $2 (on sale at JoAnn's)
For a Grand Total of: $10.59!

I hope you'll give this simple craft a try next time you want to spruce up your front door.

No comments: