Modern

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Yet Another Chicken Recipe

I feel like all I post on here are chicken recipes.

Maybe you guys should be emailing me your best non-chicken recipes.

The hard thing is, Brian has recently started trying to follow a new lifestyle diet called "Eat Right for your Blood Type." And for his blood type, pork and red meat are considered "no no's." So I'm trying to just cook fish, chicken or vegetarian dishes. Not the most difficult thing in the world, but if you have any great fish recipes, please pass them along!

Okay, on to today's recipe. This is Payton's all-time favorite thing that I make. So when he was finally over his stomach bug and ready to eat again, I wanted to make it for him.

It's called "Ritzy Chicken Casserole" because the crust is made with Ritz crackers. It's super easy, and typically goes over very well with kids.

Here are the ingredients:
  •  2 to 4 chicken breasts (depending on how large they are)
  • 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers
  • 1 can Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup
  • 1 cup sour cream (regular or low-fat)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 stick butter
As with all my chicken casseroles, I simply put the chicken breasts in the Crock Pot first thing in the morning, season them with salt & pepper, add some chicken broth and let them cook on high until they are easily shredded with a fork.

Of course, you could also bake your chicken and then cut it into cubes. But I prefer this recipe with shredded chicken. I've also been known to just buy a rotisserie chicken and shred up the breast meat.

Whatever you choose, once you have your shredded chicken, here's what you do:

1. Spray the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, then crumble one sleeve of Ritz crackers into the bottom.

2. Melt 1/2 the stick of butter and then drizzle it over the crushed Ritz crackers.
3. In a large bowl, shred your chicken breasts
4. Then add your soup mixture, sour cream and chicken broth and mix well.
5. Pour into casserole dish (optional step: season with salt & pepper here).
6. Crumble remaining sleeve of Ritz crackers on top and then melt the other 1/2 stick of butter and drizzle that on top of the crushed crackers.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until hot & bubbly.
I couldn't even get a picture of the finished product before the boys had gotten into it!
In fact, Payton had 3 helpings on this last night. 
I'd say he's recovered his appetite. :)

This is a rich dish, so I always serve it with tons of green veggies.
Hope you will try it out and let me know how you like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an oldie and goodie! You've inspired me to make this tonight. I love it when a recipe calls for simple ingredients that I have on hand! Yum!