Modern

Monday, April 8, 2013

Weekending...Phew...

Boy this weekend wiped me out...and not in a good way.

The stomach bug that we thought Payton had conquered not only came back; it came back with a vengeance. Which was so strange to me. I've never seen a child have a stomach virus, get healthy for two days (we're talking eating completely normal, playing, jumping on trampolines kind of healthy) and then get knocked back down again for 3 more days.

Needless to say, I spent a LOT of time doing laundry this weekend. And a lot of time cleaning.

Something about a person vomiting continuously for several days (even if he always made it in the bucket or toilet) makes me want to sanitize every inch of the house.

So I did.

Sadly, by Saturday afternoon, I realized my "Dr. Mom" skills were being outwitted. It was time to seek some real medical attention. So this is where we ended up...

Poor thing was so dehydrated that he needed almost a whole bag of fluids topped with a syringe of Zofran.

Fortunately, we have an excellent Children's After-Hours Urgent Care Center, so we were in and out in only 3 hours. Much better than a hospital ER. Although I'm sure we'll pay a pretty penny for it too. They don't exactly let you pay an ER co-pay for these places.
Can't wait to get that bill.

To make a long story short, Payton came home and slept. And slept. And slept some more.
Notice the 2 brightly colored Band-Aids? Yep, they had to go in both arms in order to get a vein for the IV. Poor thing!
But when he awoke on Sunday... he was a new man. He slowly regained his appetite and ate some toast and mashed potatoes. By Monday morning, he was asking for bacon with his pancakes! Kids recover so quickly. Thank you Lord!


But all was not lost this weekend!

We had originally planned to go to Brian's parents' house to celebrate his Dad's birthday. Obviously, Payton and I didn't make it. But Brian was able to take Parker, which worked out great. 

Parker has been talking non-stop about going to "Gama n Ganpa's" lately. He was so excited to go he didn't put up any fight when Brian drove off without me in the car. And he had an absolute ball!

He was showered with love and attention!

And even got some cuddle time in with Great Grandpa!
How cute is this picture?!?
So even though Payton and I were sad that we couldn't go too, it probably worked out for the best since I spent most of the day cleaning up puke and then watching an IV drip into Payton's arm. Clearly nothing that Parker needed to be a part of!

By the way, Happy Birthday Dad! We all love you so much and hope you had a fun weekend celebrating your special day!


So, let's just say, after the past week or so, I'm ready to go to sleep for about 4 straight days. Or take a vacation. Or go to a spa for the day. Or sit on the beach and veg out by myself. Hmm... these are all sounding very tempting... (hint, hint, Brian). ;)
What's that? It's 8:28 p.m.? Off to bed I go!
And no... I'm not kidding.
Nighty-night!

No comments: