Modern

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Let's Talk Makeup

Ahhhhhh...long holiday weekends. They're my fav.

Add to it our wedding anniversary, and the fact that my parents took the kiddos for a couple days...it was pretty much a perfect stay-cation.

We had a leisurely dinner out one night; I say leisurely because there was no reason to rush home to pay the $12/hour babysitter. The kids weren't there! I got to get all dressed up (which for me means no flip flops or shorts) and wear my favorite dress that my sis-in-law got me. We enjoyed a delicious meal, had a really lively conversation with the couple sitting next to us (that's a whole 'nutha story), and then ended the evening with a little live music. Perfection.
We also took advantage of the quiet mornings in the house. There was no "laboring" going on during this Labor Day. Just sipping coffee, reading the paper and enjoying the slow pace of things.
And while I'm sure you want to hear more about my lazy weekend, I will move on to the real topic at hand... makeup!

I'm not that into makeup, but as I've confessed before, I don't ever really leave the house without at least a little face powder and lip gloss (and mascara). But I do have some tried and true products that I will never stray from. And recently, I've discovered a few new products, thanks to Birchbox.

Have you heard of Birchbox? It's a great concept if you like to try new products. Basically, you fill out a questionnaire about your skin type, hair type, etc. and then you pay a $20/month subscription fee and they send you a beautiful little box filled with all sorts of goodies each month. It's like a mini Christmas present every time it arrives.

I digress... where I was going with this, is that I've discovered some new products through Birchbox that I LOVE and wanted to share them with you in case you are looking for some new items to add to your skincare and makeup repertoire this fall.

Here are all the items I am going to "talk about." They are all available online, and most are available at either Sephora or mall department stores.

Up first, my "tried and true" won't-leave-home-without-it face powder plus foundation, MAC Studio Fix.
It's wonderful by itself, it works great as a touch-up powder throughout the day, and it does a great job controlling shine, which is my worst enemy. I've used this product for over 10 years now and although I've tried others, I have not found any other pressed powders that compare.


Next up, another basic, but one that I am glad I discovered. Sephora Full Action Extreme Effect Mascara.
It's a bit more pricey that drugstore brands, but it works so much better. It doesn't clump, which is a necessity when it comes to mascara. But I also love how it looks really natural with one coat, but if you're headed out for the evening, a couple of coats really makes your lashes look dramatic and full.

The next few items are fairly new to my makeup bag. I had been hearing and reading about the importance of using a primer when applying foundation, but since I rarely wore foundation I didn't see the need to purchase any. But, time marches on then it marches right across your face! (Anyone else remember that line from the movie Steel Magnolias?!?) Anyhow, as fine lines and other nasties haves started to appear, I have found that foundation is now a really great addition to my makeup routine if I'm going out, or just want to look nice.

But, instead of a plain foundation, there is now the gem of a product called "BB cream" (which is short for Beauty Balm or Blemish Balm). It's an all-in-one powerhouse that delivers moisturizer, sunscreen, foundation and anti-aging elements all in one!

I received a sample of this Marcelle BB cream in my Birchbox a couple months ago and now I'm hording the final few bits left in the tube. It's so smooth and easy to apply! I just wipe a thin layer of this over my face and then set it with some translucent powder and voila! Flawless skin!

And as for all the hype surrounding the makeup
primer... it's TRUE! A primer truly does allow your makeup to last at least twice as long! It's a miracle product, I tell ya. And this tiny .4 oz tube of Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Free Primer is THE BOMB! Again, I don't use it every day, but when I do want to look nice (for a date or church or something) it makes such a difference when I apply it before the BB cream. Highly recommend it.

And finally, another product that I got in my Birchbox this month is an organic facial peel.
It's called "Juice Beauty Green Apple Sensitive Peel." Both Brian and I used it last weekend (don't tell him that I shared that secret!!!) and it left our faces feeling so soft and smooth. It tingles when you put it on, so you know it's working, and then 10 minutes later you wash it off and enjoy your baby-smooth skin.


Okay, that's all I've got for today. I hope you'll try out one of these products and let me know how you like it. In the meantime, I'll continue testing new products in my Birchbox every month and share any new "must have's" that I find.

No comments: