Modern

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Crockpot Mexican Chicken {A Recipe}

When I'm looking for a new recipe to try, I have a few criteria:
  1. Does it involve only a few, easy-to-find ingredients?
  2. Does it have minimal last-minute prep?
  3. Can it be made in a Crockpot?
That last criteria may seem silly, but let me tell you... by 5:30 p.m. my boys are HUNGRY and they're usually asking me "When's dinner gonna be ready?" So if I can already have the main course cooked and ready to go, it makes the dinnertime craziness a lot less hectic.

Recently, I was looking for a new Crockpot recipe that was Mexican inspired, and I stumbled across a few that sounded really good. So, I combined several of them and came up with this:
The best part about this recipe is that it's a "dump recipe." You simply dump all the ingredients in the Crockpot and let it do it's thing! Here's how you make it:

Step 1:
Place 3-4 frozen or fresh chicken breasts into bottom of Crockpot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.

Step 2:
Sprinkle chicken with one envelope of taco seasoning. Then dump a can of drained black beans, a can of drained corn, and a jar of your favorite salsa on top.
Then mix together and place lid on top. Let cook 6-8 hours or until chicken is easily pulled apart with a fork.

Step 3:
Dump a block of plain cream cheese on top and push down so that it is slightly submerged in chicken mixture. Let it cook on low for another 20 minutes or until you can easily incorporate the cream cheese into the chicken mixture. Stir thoroughly.
Step 4:
Serve it over yellow rice with diced avocado and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. Of course for people who like a little spice in their meal, a few dashes of Tabasco make it have a little more kick!

Enjoy!

No comments: