Modern

Thursday, August 29, 2013

My Grandmother

My grandmother is my only living blood-related grandparent right now. She is the matriarch of my family. She is beautiful, and sweet, and caring, and funny (even though I don't think she always means to be). And she just turned 94! Can you believe that? This petite, preppy, strong woman just turned 94. Man, I have good genes.
Last weekend, I went up to North Carolina to visit her for her birthday. Fortunately for me, my grandmother's "kids" and their spouses, who get together every year for her birthday, allowed me to crash their party and join in the fun.

And boy, was it fun! We laughed so hard my cheeks hurt from smiling. My Aunt Bobbie and her husband Brent are just about the funniest people I've ever met, so when you get them together with the rest of the hams in our family, the laughter is non-stop.

We went to Home Depot to get some flowers for my grandmother's balcony. We were all over the place asking questions, pulling things off shelves, arranging flowers in our cart... it was very amusing. And these two rebels clearly can't read don't care what the sign says:

It was so pretty out, that I snapped a pic right there in the middle of the Home Depot garden department!
My Mom, Aunt Linda, Grandma & Uncle Bob

It was clearly meant for me to be on this trip. I mean, just look at this rack of flowers!

I also got to spend some time with my cousin Trevor, whom I rarely get to see. It was great catching up with him and visiting his sleek bachelor pad. :)
Sorry, many of these pictures are blurry. No one really wanted their picture taken, so I had to be quick and stealth like. :)

This is my Aunt & Uncle's beautiful sun room. It overlooks their serene tree-filled back yard.
And this is their cute doggie, Desi. I love him! He made me remember how much I miss having a doggie around.
We all went to my grandmother's apartment to help put up the flower planter, which turned out quite beautiful, thanks to my Aunt Linda.

This is my grandmother's lovely living room. She was able to bring most of her furniture from her house in NJ, so it feels very familiar.
Saturday night we all went to dinner at my grandmother's retirement community in the formal dining room. It's quite fancy, and jackets are required. All of the women thought the men looked quite dapper!
Back left: Uncle Bob, Uncle Brett, Uncle Herb, Front left: Cousin Trevor, Grandma & my Dad
Of course us ladies wanted a picture with the birthday girl too.
Back row: Aunt Cheryl & Me, Front row: Grandma, Aunt Bobbie, Aunt Linda, my Mom
It was a very special weekend and I am so grateful to have all of these awesome people in my life. Thank you Aunt Cheryl & Uncle Bob for hosting all of us - we sure loved staying at the "Healy Hilton!" :)
Love you all so much.

No comments: