Modern

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lately...

Sorry if you've been hearing "crickets" on my blog lately. Life has been a bit busy.

If you were to look at my wall calendar, you would see writing on almost every single day this month and next. Not all of it is super busy stuff, but it's "stuff." Things that have to be done, attended, scheduled, and made. So the blog tends to take a backseat when life picks up.

But for my dear family members who read this blog to keep up on our family's happenings, I thought I'd share a few photos of what's been doing on lately.

Our big news - which was also shared on FB, so most of you know - was that Payton was baptized on September 14th. It is a big deal in our church when someone makes the decision to be baptized. We "dedicate" a child when they are a baby stating to the church family that we will raise them with Godly principles and teach them about our faith and God's love for them. But when the child - or adult - decides that they are ready to outwardly declare their faith in Jesus Christ, that is when they get baptized. The symbolism of being completely dunked into the water as a sign of the death and burial of Christ and then being lifted back out of the water as a sign of the resurrection and eternal life, is so beautiful.

Words cannot express how it felt when Payton told us that he wanted to be baptized. It is so completely humbling to know that this child that God has entrusted us with is now old enough to know what it means to follow God and he wants to share that decision with everyone. It still takes my breath away.

The baptism took place in Tampa Bay, which I just loved because it reminded me of the stories of John the Baptist when he would baptize people in large bodies of water (Jesus included!). Our long-time Pastor and good friend encouraged us to both help dunk Payton under water and take part in the baptism of our oldest child.

It is a memory that I will never forget.
And yes, I cried. :)

I want to publicly thank our family members who attended, called, sent gifts and posted words of encouragement. Your support means so much to us and we love you all so very much! Thank you!

That same weekend my parents were in town and took the boys to their hotel one afternoon for lots of fun. They jumped on the beds, went swimming in the hotel pool and even went early Sunday morning for the free breakfast buffet. They were in hotel heaven! They even surprised the boys with new matching Halloween PJ's. How cute!

The following weekend, Brian had a work conference out by the beach, so his parents came into town to watch the kiddos for a night so I could sneak away and enjoy a relaxing day at the hotel and an evening out with all of Brian's co-workers. It was a gorgeous day!
The view from our hotel room
I was having too much fun to take pictures that evening when we went out on one of his co-worker's yacht. We watched a beautiful sunset as we cruised the bay waters. We laughed and shared stories and then enjoyed a great dinner together. Truly a perfect night.

The next morning I got to sleep in (a luxury for me), and then we went to breakfast and had the best pumpkin spice latte I've ever had (sorry Starbucks!). Delish!
Of course the kids had their own mini-stay-cation at home with Grandma & Grandpa. They got to go to McDonald's and pick out their favorite ice cream at Publix. They were showered with love & attention till mean ol Mom came home. Ha, ha. :)

So far this week, it's been raining, raining and raining some more. The lakes and ponds are so full, neighbor's pools are overflowing and we've actually had to drive Payton to school (oh, the horror!). But Parker looks so darn cute in his rain boots and umbrella, it almost makes it worth it.
Waiting for Payton to get home from school
Actually, this rain makes it feel a little more like fall, so I'm not complaining. I wore jeans today and didn't break a sweat, so that's saying a LOT.

I'm going on vacation this weekend to visit 8 of my sorority sisters up in the mountains of NC. I cannot wait! It's been too many years since we've all been together, so we're like little kids on Christmas Eve right now, all hopped up on excitement.

All of that to say, I probably won't be posting again until I return next week. So, enjoy your week, weekend and the first days of fall!


P.S. We've decided that Mocha is definitely a permanent member of the Heckman family. She gets spayed next Wednesday. Praying that it goes smoothly as everyone is quite attached to her now.



No comments: