Modern

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What's for Breakfast?

I don't know about you other moms out there, but one of my most dreaded questions of the day is, "Mom, what's for breakfast?"

I want to look back at his sweet little face and say, "I dunno... what are you making?"

But I don't.

Instead, I slowly make my way over to the fridge, look at the coffee creamer wishing that was what I was reaching for, open up both the fridge and the freezer and hope for something to magically jump out and appear on the boys' plates.

This doesn't happen.

So, it's usually one of a four options:

1. Frozen waffles/French Toast/French Toast Sticks/Anything else Eggo's makes that can be warmed up quickly in the toaster oven.

2. Egg in a Basket

3. Homemade sausage & cheese biscuit

4. Bagel with cream cheese

Sadly, Payton won't eat cereal with milk, so that's not an option in our house. I would love to say that he always has a super nutritious well-balanced breakfast every morning, but he doesn't like fruit either, so really if I don't make eggs, he basically survives on carbs and processed meat until lunchtime. (See, I'm not really as much of a "Martha Stewart" as you thought I was).

Parker on the other hand, will eat just about anything I put in front of him.
Eggs, yep!
Fruit, you betcha!
Protein shake, loves it!
An egg white sandwich on whole wheat english muffin with salsa and avocado... he steals it from my plate every time I make it! (At least one child is eating healthy).

So in my quest to create some sort of healthy options for my picky eater, and find things that can be prepared quickly (I mean, come on, no one wants to make a huge breakfast at 6:30 a.m.) here is what I've come up with...

Egg in a Basket

Many of you are familiar with this, but I did not start eating this until I had kids myself.

You start with a piece of bread (whole grain preferably) and butter one side of it. Then cut a whole in the middle of the bread a little bigger than a half-dollar. Remove this cut-out circle.

Place your pan on the stove and put a small pat of butter in the pan and let it melt. Place the piece of bread BUTTERED SIDE UP in the pan on the melted butter (now both sides of the bread are buttered). I also place the little cut-out circle in the pan too and cook it along side the slice of bread.

Crack an egg inside the cut-out circle of the bread. Then I break the yolk with a fork so that it will cook more evenly.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

When you hear a crackling/popping sound, flip the bread and cook the other side.

Once cooked through, you're done! Serve it with some bacon, if you're Payton, or with fruit, if you're Parker. :)


Homemade Sausage Cheese Biscuit

I started making these out of desperation because very casually one day, Payton said, "Oh I don't care what we have for breakfast because when I get to school I always go to the cafeteria and get a sausage and egg biscuit."

I'm not knocking the cafeteria staff or their food preparation skills, but I am pretty sure it's about the most processed thing you could eat for breakfast at school. And to think he was eating it on a regular basis made me a little sick to my stomach.

So, I went to Publix, got a package of buttermilk biscuits (I didn't make them folks. I go for simplicity sometimes), a package of sliced cheese and a box of the healthiest option I could find of turkey sausage.

I created a little assembly line and made a dozen sausage and cheese biscuits.

Then I wrapped each one in foil so I could simply remove them from the freezer and put it right into the toaster oven.
And then I put them all in a labeled Ziploc bag...
...and then put them in my labeled freezer.
Okay, maybe I do have a tinsy, tiny bit of Martha in me afterall. :)
It took a few minutes of preparation, but it's so simple now to serve one for breakfast.

I'm always looking for new breakfast ideas for my picky little second grader. Especially during the school year when I don't have a lot of time to cook.
I'd love to hear some of your favorite "go-to" breakfast solutions.
Please leave me a comment and let me know!

No comments: