Modern

Sunday, September 6, 2015

A Big Family Announcement...

** Head's up - there are a few videos embedded in this post. You will need to click on them in order to watch them on YouTube. Trust me... it's worth it! ***

I can finally reveal our big news!

No, I'm not pregnant. But we did add to our family this weekend.

Meet Harry Carey Heckman!
He's the most adorable 14-month old Havanese you ever did meet.

Here's the backstory...

It's been almost two years since we lost our beloved 14-year old Lhasa Apso, Rohy. And we've talked about getting another dog for about a year now, but we were all on different pages as far as what breed, what size, etc.

After lots of research we all agreed on three different breeds that we liked: Havanese, King Charles Spaniel and Wheaten Terrier. They are all medium sized dogs that do not shed, are hypoallergenic and we all agreed that we didn't want a newborn puppy, but we also didn't want an older dog. Oh, the most important item on the list was that we wanted to adopt a rescue dog, not buy one from a breeder.

The problem was, those three breeds are very highly sought after and are not typically what you would find in a shelter. But we were in no rush, so I was happy to wait until we found just the right pup.

So the hunt began!

I started searching local rescue sites and after a few months, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this adorable Havanese up for adoption!

He fit all the criteria! I thought it was too good to be true. Then, after a few weeks of emails and phone calls, I got the email saying that they wanted to set up a time to meet us. I was so excited, but we didn't want to tell the boys because if the rescue organization didn't end up choosing us as the adoptive family, I didn't want the kids to be disappointed.

So, Friday morning, Brian and I drove out to meet little Harry and we immediately fell in love. He was so gentle and sweet - much like the first time we met Rohy. Thankfully, right then and there they decided that we could take him home!

Car ride home

I felt like it was Christmas morning and we had the biggest best kept secret present for the boys. I could hardly wait for them to get home from school that afternoon!

Parker got home first...


And then Payton...



As you can see, the boys were thoroughly surprised and absolutely ecstatic!

The weekend has basically been spent playing with Harry...



Watching Harry sleep (which he does quite well)...


And laughing at all of his cuteness. 
He lays at the boys' bedroom door and waits for them to wake up in the morning. Melt my heart!



So there's our big news! We are officially doggie owners again.

I will continue to post here all about Harry's adaptation to our family as well as his funny Havanese antics that we're already learning about. In the meantime, thanks for sharing in our exciting news. :)

No comments: