Modern

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day Recap

I don't know if it's the fact that the school year is winding down and there are a million little things I have to remember right now (e.g. send in money for teacher gifts, send in food for class parties, finish school projects, etc., etc.) or the fact that we had one whirlwind of a weekend, but man... I'm TIRED!

I'm not complaining though because it was one of the most fun weekends we've had in a long time.

Friday night, Brian and I went to the Darius Rucker concert at an outdoor amphitheater. We went with a fun group of couples who were mostly parents from Parker's class. And since we were also celebrating on of the gals birthdays, they arranged for a limo to take us to the concert. I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a limo!
We had a really great time! The weather was perfect and Darius Rucker put on a really great show. Highly recommend seeing him in concert if you ever get the chance.
The next day, we met my brother and his family for a minor league baseball game in Lakeland (which is half way between both of our houses). Again, excellent weather and such a fun event. We sat in our seats for the first 6 innings and then made our way out to the grassy knoll area where the kids could run around like wild banshees.



Such cutie pies! Joel & Payton are in the back, then Parker & Natalie, and Camryn is sitting in front.
Then, much to our surprise, after the game, there was an after party at the stadium where they had live music, face painting, a balloon artist, and a caricature artist. The best part?? It was all FREE!!! We couldn't believe it! The kids were in heaven.

And then once it was dark, they had an incredible fireworks show. It was quite spectacular with the flag flying proudly in the background.

After the game, we drove back to my brother's house and spent the night. The next morning after church, all the boys (minus Parker) went golfing, while the rest of us enjoyed a relaxing day at home.
Both my dad and my niece have birthdays in the next week, so my parents drove over and we had a little birthday celebration for both of them. The cake my brother got was so cute.

Later that afternoon, we went to their community pool - which is more like a resort pool - and the kids had a ball swimming and playing together.

We spent the night at my brother's house again that evening, and had the best time just sitting on their back patio well into the night talking, laughing and enjoying an incredible bottle of wine that my brother brought back from his last trip to Italy.

With full hearts and tired eyes, we headed back to Tampa the next morning. And after a lazy day spent around the house, we walked over to our neighbor's house for a Memorial Day party that evening.

There was SO much food there (I may have had like 5 slices of my neighbor's homemade fig, prosciutto, and arugula flatbread). Catching up with all our neighbors and friends was the perfect way to end the weekend.

Phew! What an adventurous weekend it was! So fortunate to have such awesome friends and family to celebrate with over a holiday weekend.

Here's to one more week of school; and then... SUMMER TIME!!!

No comments: