Modern

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fun & Inexpensive Valentines Gift

Y'all know this girl loves the Target Dollar section. It gets me in trouble sometimes.

But this month, when they rolled out their Valentine's decor, I controlled myself and only bought a few things to be used as gifts.

When I spotted an adorable pink mini mailbox and 2-pack of Valentines stickers for only $1 each, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.

Since I don't have any girls of my own, I have fun doing girlie stuff for my nieces. And poor Joel, my nephew, just has to take one for the team and see his name emblazoned on a pink mailbox. Sorry kiddo.

Here's how I did it.

1. I wanted to make sure the names would be evenly spaced on the front of the mailbox, so I printed off a font that I liked on the computer making sure it was the right size for the area.

2. I used a white craft pencil and colored over the BACK of the paper where the names were printed. Then I placed the paper on top of the mailbox lid and firmly went over each letter with the closed end of a Sharpie marker. Basically, it works like carbon paper, but leaves white marks instead of black.

 It left just a tiny amount of the white pencil marks behind so that I could use it as a template.

 Then I used a black Sharpie to go over the letters. Not perfect, but much better than I could have done free-hand.

Then I simply applied some stickers and a few white dots with a paint pen, and "Voila!"

 

And since it is a Valentine's gift, I had to fill it with some chocolate...
I hope the kids enjoy it!
Now, I just have to come up with some creative Valentine's gifts for boys. Any ideas???
 

No comments: