Modern

Monday, December 2, 2013

Christmas Presents Everyday! {A Cheap Idea}

Ahhh...Christmas. Welcome my dear beloved holiday. I have been awaiting your arrival for the past 11 months.

We have rolled out the red and green carpet to invite you into our home and cozy up by the fake fireplace for the next 24 days.

And in case you were wondering, dear sweet Christmas, I intend to make this holiday an intentional one. One filled with meaningful experiences. A holiday focused on the actual reason for the season (hello...you can't say Christmas without Christ.) And one that will not stress me out, but rather allow me to slow down and enjoy the wonder in my children's eyes and the excitement in their hearts.

This Christmas will not drain my bank account, nor will it make me feel guilty for not doing all sorts of "Pinterest-y" things. Yes Christmas, I am going to enjoy the heck out of you for the next few weeks. So, let's start off with a very simple, yet fun Christmas tradition...

A couple years ago I read about this idea on another blog. I wish I could remember where I read it, but since I can't, I'll take full credit for it. Hee, hee.

The idea behind it, is that Christmas can be filled with exciting "gifts" that actually don't cost a thing. Kids just love unwrapping things. Even if they are things they've seen before. This may sound crazy, but trust me... I've seen it with my own eyes!

Every year I wrap up all of our Christmas books. Individually. Then put them all in a basket next to the tree. And every morning, the kids each get to unwrap a book. Sometimes, they unwrap another before bed, just sorta depends on the day.

The concept sounds so simple and silly, but it's crazy how excited they get about it. Now, truth be told, not all of the books are ones they've read before, but probably 85% truly are.

Throughout the year, I keep my eye out for Christmas books. Our library has a great used book store where most children's books are between .25-.50. I'm happy to spend a few bucks throughout the course of a year to get a handful of new books.

Funny enough, they love rediscovering their old books just as much as the new ones. Probably because they've been in storage all year with the Christmas decorations. But either way, it's an inexpensive way to add a lot of fun and excitement to each day during this season. And even if you don't want to wrap all of your books, you could still accomplish the same idea by only taking out one new book each day. Either way, I hope you are soaking up every second of this season. Cheers!


P.S. If you haven't started listening to the Pandora Christmas station yet, please stop reading this blog and immediately do so. It will make you want to drink hot chocolate and eat candy canes all day long.

No comments: