Modern

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thanksgiving Preparations

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year.

That announcement may not seem like such a big deal to most people, but I've only hosted Thanksgiving twice in my life, so it can feel very intimidating if I allow it.

Fortunately for me, there will only be a few people gathered 'round our table. And these people aren't expecting a huge Martha-Stewart-esque display, so I think I'm good. (Set the expectations low and no one gets disappointed, am I right??)

But it has forced me to pay attention to the barrage of Thanksgiving recipes, crafts, decorations, table settings and other ideas that are popping up everywhere right now. I just got an email last night from the evil friendly people at Pinterest with the subject title, "Our Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide."

I haven't opened it.

I'm afraid of what I'll see. And then what I'll feel like I "should" be doing.

Nope. This gal is takin it easy this Thanksgiving. I've already received the green light from my parents that we can do a turkey breast and a Honeybaked ham instead of a full turkey. That alone will save me the stress of researching and deciding on a turkey recipe (to brine, or not to brine?!?), prepping (gizzards...ewwwwww!!!), stuffing, cooking, basting, and being tied to the oven for God-knows-how-long. Nope. Not doin' it.

I've also suggested out the idea of doing loaded twice baked potatoes instead of mashed potatoes. They require a bit more prep work and a couple more ingredients, but I can make them the night before and warm them through on the day of. (Really, I just don't want to even attempt to compete with my sister-in-law's amazing mashed potatoes. I think about them all year long and someday I will learn her magic recipe.)

In addition to my parents, we have friends joining us this year whom we adore and they have two boys as well - one of which is Parker's good buddy. So, hopefully they'll entertain each other and the adults can linger a bit longer around the table.

As for decor...keeping that super simple too. A mix of our earth-toned cloth napkins, everyday white dishes and a simple centerpiece with lots of candles. Nothing says holidays like tons of twinkling candlelight.

I have done a bit of searching for free printable place cards just to add a bit of personalization to the table. I'll share those and some other fun things I've found in a post later this week.

In the meantime, I hope you'll join me in focusing on being thankful this month. Big or small, it truly does change your attitude when you have a thankful mindset, rather than one of envy or frustration. Try to take note of the everyday things that we so often take for granted: a hot cup of coffee, a cozy blanket, a beautiful fire in the fireplace, healthy children, a great friend... whatever it is, if it makes you happy, focus on that.

Today, I'm happy that I had my annual mammogram and it came back "normal" this time. No biopsy this year. THAT makes me very thankful!!!



No comments: