Modern

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dear Summertime: How I Love/Hate Thee...

Dear Summertime,
I love so many aspects of your season.
You provide leisurely mornings where I do not feel rushed to do a single thing.
You allow for a more relaxed evening schedule as well, which entices us to go out for ice cream, stay at friend's houses later than normal, and play well past bedtimes.
The endless days we get to spend at the pool are priceless and filled with laughter. (And the kids are so worn out by the evenings, I rarely have to convince anyone it's bedtime.)

But, oh Summer... how you have tricked me this year.

Those leisurely mornings have caused me to skip out on the gym more than a couple times.
Those late nights with friends leave me feeling tired the next day struggling to keep up with two kids.
And the pool... well, I still love the pool, but every day? Come on Summer... can't we have just one day filled with thunderstorms that force us to curl up on the couch and watch movies? Just one day, that's all I'm asking.

And oh, one other thing Summer...what the heck happened to my house since you arrived??
It seems like nothing ever gets finished.

I start rinsing off the fresh fruit and then it sits in the sink all afternoon never to be put away.
(and yes, the other side of the sink has dirty dishes in it)

I make my bed in the morning, only to find it completely un-done and filled with stuffed animals two hours later.

I wash the pillow cover to Payton's chair (because the gosh darn bunny peed on it) and instead of putting it back on, it sadly sits on the playroom floor...just waiting for someone to put it back together.
 
I also washed the curtains in the bathroom (because the freaking bunny and my 2-year old peed on them) and yet they sit, sprawled out across multiple chairs in the kitchen waiting to be re-hung.

Oh Summer. How I love so much of what you have to offer, and yet found myself dreaming about the fall yesterday. School for both boys. Cooler weather. TWO planned vacations. Holidays. Pumpkin Spice Lattes...

Okay, Stacy. SNAP OUT OF IT!
I think I better just suck it up and choose to look on the bright side of you Summer (pun intended).

I will choose to relish the spontaneous beach trips.

I will choose to savor the warm evenings spent outside among friends with a glass of wine in one hand, and perhaps a sparkler or a s'more in the other.

And I will choose to stop...and inhale the sweet mixture of bug spray and suntan lotion on my children's necks when they come in for a hug.

So Summer, I have now decided... I still really do love you.
Now you'll have to excuse me as I attempt to go put my house back together...

1 comment:

The Mac Fam said...

Yes I agree, choose to love it. Choose to embrace it. It will be over before you know it!!!! Plus, it could be worse, you could be in China. HAHAHA. Great post!