Modern

Monday, March 25, 2013

Weekending

Something about all the hustle and bustle of the past couple weeks, plus a baby with a cold that has kept me up more nights than I could count, made me want to be a complete homebody this weekend.

I didn't want to go out to eat. I didn't want to go shopping. I didn't even want to go to the grocery store... but some things just can't be avoided.

For the most part though, I didn't even leave our neighborhood. And ya know what? It was a really great relaxing weekend with our family.

We kicked off the weekend with good news from Payton's teacher after a very successful parent-teacher conference. As with all of his teachers, she told me that, "Payton gives the best hugs! You can always judge his mood by the kind of hug he gives you." Of course we also talked about his academic achievements and social skills, but it's always nice to hear that beyond the learning curve, your child has a really great heart.

So, I celebrated Friday night, by opening up the french doors, letting in the beautiful cool breeze, lighting a candle and toasting to the start of a great weekend!

That evening, we put the baby down to bed, and the rest of us cuddled up on the couch, ate pizza and watched the most recent episode of "The Bible." (Side note: are you watching this series??? It's SO good, and I'm not just saying that because I believe in the Bible. It's like watching a great action adventure movie. It's REALLY well done. I highly recommend it!) Just as the show was over and it was time for Payton to go to bed, a huge thunderstorm rolled in. The sound of rain beating down on the roof was the perfect way to fall into a deep slumber.

Saturday morning, we went to breakfast, only to discover once again: don't order the baby food. He won't eat it. He just wants to eat the jelly and butter packets and drink the creamers. Gross? Yes. Happy kid at a restaurant? You betcha ya. Lesson learned.

After a quiet morning at home, Brian took the boys to a bounce house place. He said the boys had so much fun together. Payton would take a water break and Parker would sit at the entrance to a bounce house and just yell "BU-BBA!!!!" So cute.

That evening, we had some of Payton's buddies come over for dinner and ice cream. They had a great time together. :)


The next morning after church, Payton went to his first laser tag birthday party. He LOVED it! He wants to go back so badly with Brian now. I can only imagine those two playing laser tag together.
The rest of the evening was once again just spent hanging out. Payton played with some friends in the neighborhood, Brian took Parker on a bike ride, we played chalk, took silly pictures with my phone and just enjoyed each other's company.
Sometimes I'm a pretty simple person.

Just give me a weekend with my family, some nice weather, good food, and lots of cuddling, and I'm a happy woman.
 
 Life is good.

No comments: