Modern

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Love in a Lunchbox

When I was little, my mom used to write notes to me on paper napkins tucked inside my lunch bag. They were usually just little things like, "I love you" or "Have a great day." But I looked forward to them and they made me feel loved.

It may sound silly, but the smallest acts of kindness can really change a child's day.

They don't need a dozen roses or an expensive dinner out to feel important.

A simple little unexpected note placed somewhere in their line of sight can make a world of difference.

A few years ago, I was checking out at a local toy store when I spotted these little business-card sized notes called "Lunchbox Love" by a company called "Say Please." I thumbed through a few of them and immediately fell in love.


The cards are two-sided. One side has a "Did you know" phrase that can range from animal topics to bodily functions. They are all very interesting, I can tell you that.
 The other side of the card has a little encouraging phrase such as...

And sometimes one side of the card is blank, so you can write your own little note.

I always write a little something on the card. Maybe a comment on what the card says like, "I really do love how generous you are with your friends!" or sometimes just "I love you so much!"

And I always sign it, "Mom." Just in case he forgets who puts them in there. ;)
There is also a blog/web site called "It's Written On The Walls" that creates holiday-themed lunchbox notes. I am currently using their Easter ones and they are adorable! You simply print them off right on your computer - (for FREE!).

If your child doesn't bring their lunch to school, you can always put these notes somewhere else, like in their school notebook, bathroom mirror, under their pillow, etc. The ideas are endless.

Just remember, it doesn't take much effort on our part as parents to make our kids feel really special. But it pays off big time to have a kid who feels loved and appreciated by their parents.

No comments: