Modern

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Valentines Weekending

I took a little break from blogging the past few days. Hope no one was crying rivers of tears when they didn't receive a post from me in their inbox (insert sarcastic tone here).

The weekend felt like it began on Thursday, because Brian came home a little early and brought take out from my favorite local Italian restaurant. We put the kids down and enjoyed a romantic candlelight dinner on the couch together. It was perfect.

And then he handed me a box to open...
The moment my eyes saw that bright green box I knew what it was! I was very, very happy indeed.

I've mentioned this on my blog before, but if you've never read "The 5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman, do yourself a huge favor and click on this link and purchase it immediately. It will change your marriage, your relationship with your kids and possibly even the relationship with your parents and friends. I'm serious people.

The idea behind the book is to learn what a person's "Love Language" is and then you are able to far better connect with them and make them feel loved. My love languages are "Acts of Service" and "Gifts." So, when Brian cleans the floors, or take the boys out to give me a break, these acts of service make me feel very loved and make me love him even more in return.

So, even though I know Valentine's is a silly holiday that has been overtaken by Hallmark and the chocolate industry, I LOVED getting a gift that evening. My "gifts" love language was definitely spoken!

Anyhow, long story short, get the book. Speak your spouse/kids/parents love language and it really can do wonders for you.

MOVING ON...

Earlier in the day, I carried on a Valentine's tradition that my mom always did with me and my brother growing up. Each boy got a small box of Russel Stover's chocolates on their plates at breakfast time. They think it's so fun and special to have chocolate first thing in the morning.
 
 And then I continued a Valentine's tradition of my own, which is to make heart-shaped French toast. Again, it's the little things that make kids feel so special and loved (especially when you're speaking their love language). :)

That afternoon, a cold front was pushing through and it was wet and rainy. 
I decided to take Parker to the mall to play indoors, and we were fortunate enough to have his little friend meet us there for lunch.
Nothin' says romance like Chick-fil-A in the food court.
 Of course followed by a twirl on the Carrousel...
What is up with that crazy smile of his??
On Friday night, we had a sitter and went out on a double-Valentine's-date with our neighbors.
The food was incredible, but the company made the meal.
Best neighbors ever!
 

On Saturday, we drove over to visit Brian's family and see his brother who was in town for the weekend with his new semi truck.
Needless to say, the boys were in HEAVEN!


They got to sit in the front seat and see all of the controls and then play in the back on his bed. Payton was completely fascinated!
Todd was so nice to let them play and explore his new big rig!
We are ending our weekend with a major cold front.
It's only reaching the upper 40's here today, which is very cold for us Floridians.
We've got our "fireplace" on and the heat cranked up.
Who knows... I might even bust out an electric blanket tonight.
 Happy Monday everyone!





No comments: