Modern

Monday, February 25, 2013

Theme Parks...this is how I roll.

I'm not one of those spontaneous people who just wakes up on a Saturday and says, "Hey... let's go to Disney World." Even if we had season passes. And even though we only live an hour away. I'm just not that kinda gal.

I like to plan it out.

I like to research things.

I like to have everything packed up in advance so that I don't leave the house and think, "Oh shoot! I forgot the (fill in the blank)!"

So, when our family finally decided to use the passes we bought last year to Legoland, I started doing my online research.

I start with Mom blogs, because, as a fellow blogger, I find a lot of useful information in other blogs. They are usually chock full of great little tips and hints that make the day go much smoother.

I create a folder with my tickets, an envelope of spending money, and other important items such as: a map of the park, show times, and directions according to the theme park's web site (because once in a blue moon, MapQuest is wrong).
This may seem a bit overboard, but I am so glad that I did this. The Legoland maps that you receive when you enter the gate does not have any printed show times on it. You just have to find the little placards near the show pavilions for their start times (not good!). It also helped to know all of the show times in advance so that we could prepare and get good seats for the shows that fill up quickly (a tip I learned on a blog).

I also ALWAYS pack a lunch, snacks & bottled water. Even if the theme park web site says "No outside food or beverages allowed." I figure the worst case scenario is that we have to take them back to the car. Best case, we save about $75 that would have been spent on crappy theme park food.

Of course no one in our family likes the same kind of sandwich, so I label them with initials to help me identify them quickly when searching through the bag.
 A large Ziploc filled with snacks allows me to quickly find what I want.
And we've never been to a theme park without this baby...
This is my favorite backpack! 
It has an insulated pocket on one side perfect for a sippy & a water bottle:
And a pocket on the other side with all sorts of dividers that hold all my "necessities."
 And by necessities, I mean these:
Wet Ones, hand sanitizer, tissues, sunblock, gum, Chap stick, Cottonelle wipes, and a small change purse for cash, credit cards, etc.
I also use this handy wipes & diaper case when traveling.
 It fits 2 diapers and a travel wipes case just perfectly. I can grab it quickly for a bathroom diaper change.

Another thing I like to do in advance is pack up the car.
I have two great little bags for the boys that I fill up with some snacks, colored pencils, paper, stickers, etc. Little things to keep them busy on the road.
Then I put them inside a larger basket in the backseat that holds books & water bottles for both boys.

Did I mention I like to plan ahead???

Okay, so I may seem off my rocker a little neurotic about preparations, but trust me, a little goes a long way. We had a peaceful 90-minute trip to and from the park with no complaints from the backseat. That alone was worth every minute of prep time! 

Some of the other things I learned by researching ahead of time:

*** Bring extra mini figures with you. Each park employee has a mini figure on their nametag and will "trade" with you if you ask. Payton got some amazing mini figures while we were there and it gave him something exciting to do at each ride.

 *** Go to the ski show. It gets crowded, so arrive early and save seats. It's a wonderful show for all ages and not to be missed!

*** Look for the funny/hidden scenes throughout Mini Land. There are whole web sites dedicated to this topic. Find out some fun ones and have your kids search for them!

So those are my tips for being prepared to visit a theme park, specifically Legoland. :)
Stay tuned for pics from our actual trip.
We had the BEST time and I can't wait to share the memories with y'all!


No comments: