Modern

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sick...

Have I mentioned before how much I hate it when my kids are sick? Seriously, it's the worst. I'm not one of those parents who can just throw a bucket next to their face and move on with my day hoping to only wash one set of sheets the next morning. 
No. I worry, worry, worry.
What good does this do me?
Nothing.
But I still worry. Incessantly. As if it's going to make them better somehow.
Poor Payton came down with some stomach virus in the middle of the night on Monday.
It's now Wednesday at 9:22 p.m. and this is what he looks like:
Still sick.
Still feverish. Still throwing up.
You know it's bad when the teacher sends out an email warning parents of a stomach virus that has taken down half the 1st grade. Oh those pesky little germs. They really did a number on the kids this time.
I wish there was something I could do to make him more comfortable. I wish I could take the illness myself and let him be carefree.
I worry about when he'll stop throwing up. I worry if he's drinking enough. I worry that he hasn't eaten anything in almost 2 days. I worry that he's had too much medication. Not enough medication. Not the right medication. Maybe he needs IV fluids. Maybe we should take him to the ER. Ugh... worrying stinks!!!
What's a mom to do with all this worry in her mind?
I'm going to the Lord in prayer. 
He's the only one who can ease my mind. 
I pray for a quick recovery. That my little boy returns to his funny, sarcastic self very soon. I pray that his body strengthens and is able to return to normal functions of eating and drinking. I pray that tomorrow he will "turn a corner" and start to feel human again.
I love you Payton.

P.S. Payton, when you read this...PLEASE start washing your hands before lunch time? These viruses are the pits.

1 comment:

The Mac Fam said...

Oh yuck. Poor baby. I hope he's better soon.