Modern

Friday, December 3, 2010

It's Christmas Time!

The day after Thanksgiving officially started the Christmas season at the Heckman household. We got the decorations down (which is now one of Payton's favorite Christmas traditions), decorated the outside of the house and got to work on the inside. This year, we didn't put up all the decorations because I have a strong suspicion that come December 26th, I'm not going to feel much like taking everything down (something about my growing belly that keeps getting in the way of things). So, we have plenty of decorations up to make it fell "Christmas-y" but not so much that it looks like the North Pole threw up in our family room. Here are a couple of fun decorations this year...
Our Christmas Village Scene, which Payton had so much fun helping me put up this year:
My "Celebrate Plate" that I bought years ago from a Southern Living party that I decorated with a very simple candy cane bucket (the kids LOVE this one!):
And speaking of decor... my husband and son decided that my neatly organized playroom need a full Christmas "makeover" complete with tents, tunnels and a Christmas Train Village. I was informed last night that this "scene" would be staying up all Christmas season:
(Tent town from the front)                                                        (Inside the tent - Payton's Train Village)
Of course we also put up our Advent calendar this week as well. Traditionally, each day would be filled with a piece of candy. But seeing as how candy-obsessed my son is these days, I thought it best to integrate some other little things this year. So, although there is still plenty of candy in the calendar, I've also included little cards that say, "Look in your book basket" or "Look in your bathroom cabinet" and I hide wrapped Christmas books for him to find. I think he's had much more fun with it this year. And speaking of Christmas books, here are two that I highly recommend:

Payton has already spent a long time looking through these fun books where you have to find items on each page. (P.S. They retail for about $21 each at Barnes and Noble, but I purchased them on www.Half.com for just .75 a piece!!!).

This is our Christmas Book Basket that I have strategically placed next to the Christmas tree (where presents will soon be). It's amazing when you put out books in plain view how much more your kids will pick them up and read them.

And I would be remiss if I left out one more important element from this Christmas blog post. I have a new obsession this season, thanks to my father-in-law who introduced these little pieces of heaven to me a few weeks ago when he baked mint chocolate brownies. Have you tried these Andes Mint Baking Chips yet?? They are SO yummy!! I have put them in brownies, cookies, and even in my occasional cup of coffee. YUM-O! You've got to go out and get yourself a bag of these babies. Because I have a feeling they are a seasonal product and just like eggnog... they'll be gone before you know it.

I hope you all are enjoying this wonderful season! I'd love to hear what your family is doing to celebrate.

No comments: