Modern

Monday, March 23, 2015

Recipe: Taco Soup

Today is one of those wall-to-wall days when the moment my feet hit the ground this morning, I knew there would be little slowing down.

On days like these, I always look for a recipe that can be assembled quickly, ahead of time, and that requires minimal clean up.

Enter...Taco Soup.

This recipe is so simple, it's not even really a recipe. But I thought I'd share it just in case you have a busy day lined up this week and still want to serve your family a hearty meal at the end of the day.

Taco Soup

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb. ground beef or chicken
  • 1 envelope of taco seasoning
  • 1 can sweet corn, drained
  • 1 can pinto beans, drained
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 can black beans (Do not drain)
  • 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (Do not drain)
  • Shredded cheese
  • Fritos or Tortilla chips
*Optional ingredients: Sour cream, cilantro, green onion, jalapeno slices

Directions:
1. Brown your meat in a skillet (I like to use ground chicken for this recipe and I cook it in a non-stick skillet with a tablespoon or two of coconut oil... and no, it does not taste like coconuts, it's just a super healthy alternative to vegetable oil).

2. Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and dump in all the canned ingredients plus the taco seasoning. Then add in the browned meat. Stir everything around until all the ingredients are swimming happily together in their slow cooker hot tub.



3. Cook on low for at least 3 hours, but up to 6 hours will make it even better.

I like to really pile on the toppings with this recipe. I add sour cream, diced green onions, shredded cheese, diced jalapenos, and even Fritos! If you don't have Fritos, tortilla chips make great "spoons" for dipping. 

Image result for taco soup

Hope you enjoy this recipe on your next busy day. As for me, I'm off to help with math homework, finish the laundry, prep for our Cub Scouts meeting, and entertain two rambunctious sweet boys the rest of the afternoon. Is it 5 o'clock yet? Ha.. ha..ha.,.

No comments: