Modern

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Valentine's Date Night Makeup Tips

Let me preface this post by saying, I am not a makeup artist and I have absolutely no background or training in this area.

I just really. like. makeup.

I have a lot of girlfriends who hate putting on makeup. Either they don't like the way it feels, or they don't like the amount of time it takes to put it on, or they just don't care about it.

And that's perfectly fine and good.

I am not here to convert the masses to wearing tons of makeup.

I am however interested in sharing some great tips that I've learned throughout the years.

I read a lot of blogs and several of them focus on beauty tips.

My favorite one - just in case you were wondering - is The Small Things Blog. I could read her blog for hours. There are so many awesome hair and makeup tips and tutorials. It's a girlie-girl's blog heaven if you will.

In addition to reading about makeup, I also like to ask lots of questions when I buy beauty products at places like Sephora, Clinque, MAC, etc. These people are actually trained in what they do and they are a wealth of information.

One last thing... when it comes to makeup, a lot of the time, you get what you pay for.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of lip gloss and mascaras and other things from Target, but when it comes to really good quality make up that is going to look good, have "staying power," and not feel "heavy" it will cost a bit more than what you're going to find on the shelves at a drugstore.

Okay, all of that being said, if you have hot plans for Valentines Day, or any other fun date nights/girl's night out coming up, I hope you learn something new that you can apply (pun intended) to your makeup routine.

First up... know your skin type. This is crucial because most make up lines now have specially formulated products that help balance out your skin type. For example, my skin is very oily and by about 2 p.m. my make up can really start looking greasy if I don't apply more powder.

In contrast, if you have dry skin, it is super important to get hydrating formulas so that you don't get that dry "cake-y" look. Hydrating formulas also help lots with wrinkle-prevention for dry skin.

So once you know your skin type, the first step to a "night out" makeup routine, is Primer.

I don't use primer every day, but when I know I'm going out, or I want my make up to last a long time, I absolutely use it.

I've tried a lot of different brands of primers - either through free samples, or Birchbox, etc. and I always come back to Smashbox Photo Finish.

I use the oil-free version and it took a little getting used to when I first purchased it. It feels kinda oily when you first rub it in your fingers and on your face. But within a minute, you can't feel anything. Just smoother skin.

After primer, I apply foundation. There are a gazillion different kinds of foundation out there and I think I've tried most of them. ;) I've gone very high end (when I got married) all the way to Covergirl and everything in between. And I'm telling you, as many makeup artists will agree, Laura Mercier is one of the all-time best foundations on the market.

Again, I use an oil-free version, but there are so many different formulas to go with your skin type. If you go to Sephora, they will color-match your skin tone using a digital color reader and then help you find the foundation that will best match your skin. Genius.

To "set" the foundation, I apply a translucent powder. I like loose powder (especially the Laura Mercier ones) but I also like the versatility of having a pressed translucent powder so that I can "touch up" my nose, forehead, and chin if I start to shine.

I think Clinque's Stay-matte Sheer Pressed Powder (101 Invisible Matte for all skin tones) is a great option. It's not too expensive and I can apply it with a powder brush or with the sponge that comes with it.

And while we're on the topic of powders, if you invest in one product this year, I highly recommend MAC's Studio Fix pressed powder. I learned about this powder when I used to work in Public Relations and my boss was a former TV News Anchor. She swore by this stuff because it's so easy to put on, use for touch-up's, etc. It has excellent coverage and is very lightweight.

Next up is blush, and in my experience, the more expensive the blush, the better it goes on, and the brighter the color. With less expensive brands, you will likely have to apply a lot more to get good color on your cheeks. But with something like a clay-based formula, a couple swipes of the blush brush and you've got great color that will last all day.
I really like the "Tarte" line of blushes, that you can get at Sephora. Again, I would highly recommend asking one of the makeup artists to help guide you to finding just the right color for your skin tone. Blush can be a hard thing to just pick out randomly. We don't want any clown faces out there.

Let's talk eyes. Defining and highlighting your eyes can have a dramatic impact on your look. Just a bit of mascara will go a long way to make you look refreshed and polished.

But if you really want to amp up your look for Valentines day, get a little daring and try out some eyeliner and eye shadow.

Eyeliner can be tricky. There are lots of different types (pencil, liquid, powder, gel) and there are also lots of different ways to apply it. For most people, you will want to line the top lid, and possibly the bottom lid if you want to go for a more dramatic look.I personally prefer pencil liner because it's much easier to apply than a liquid liner, but I know most make up artists use liquid because it lasts longer. To each his (or hers) own, right?

I really love Smashbox Limitless Eye Liner in Onyx. It's a pretty basic liner, but goes on smooth and has good staying power.
And as far as mascara goes, this is one area where I think you don't have to spend a ton of money. I really love Covergirl Lash Blast in the orange tube. It works great, goes on easily and can be applied once for an everyday look, or twice for a more dramatic night time look.
Last but definitely not least...lipstick. Don't forget the lipstick ladies! This is such an important element. However, it is one area where you just gotta try it out and see what you think. Which is why going to someplace like Sephora is really great because you can use the cotton swabs on as many tester lipsticks as you want until you find just what you're looking for.

But I say for Valentines Day... go red! There are red shades that work with every skin tone, so don't give up if the first few don't look "just right." Again, a trained make up artist could definitely steer you in the right direction to help you find a shade that goes with your skin tone, or goes best with the season.

Trends are fun to try, but they're not for everyone, so staying classic is always a good idea when you're investing into beauty products.

And just remember that whether you go all out with your makeup for date night, or wear nothing but a little lip gloss, do what makes you feel beautiful.


No comments: