Modern

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lent

Growing up, our family didn't participate in the idea of "giving something up for Lent." I just assumed it was a Catholic thing and never gave it much thought.

But as I've gotten older and have come to gain a better understanding of the season of Lent, I think "giving up something" has a nice ring to it.

Not because I have all of these terrible habits and really need to give something up for 40 days. But rather, I want to prepare my heart for Easter; have a daily reminder of what is coming. So maybe I don't necessarily need to give something up for 40 days, but rather come up with a daily reminder of the importance of the Lenten season.

For me, Easter is the most important "holiday" of the year. It is the celebration of Christ's resurrection from the dead.

It is not the celebration of the newest flavor of Peeps, or a party for the Easter bunny, as many people seem to think (don't even get me started about the nationwide confusion over the true meaning of Christmas).

So, this year, instead of giving something up, I have been inspired by a favorite author/blogger of mine, and I will be participating in her "Gratitude Experiment."

Glennon Doyle Melton, author of the blog, "Momastery" is challenging people to grab a journal or notebook and before you lay your head down to rest for the next 40 nights, jot down three things you were grateful for that day.

You can read her entire blog post about it here.

I love this quote from her...

"I  have a relentless and heavy hunch that gratitude is THE KEY to peace. I’m not sure we need to change our circumstances, but I think we might need to change the way we SEE our circumstances." 

Ironically, this challenge ties in perfectly with my 2014 Goals in which I want to be more appreciative. I have a feeling this is really going to help me hone in on that goal.

Want to join me during this season of Lent?

I've got my journal and my pen...and lots of gratitude to share. 
 
I have a relentless and heavy hunch that gratitude is THE KEY to peace. I’m not sure we need to change our circumstances, but I think we might need to change the way we SEE our circumstances. - See more at: http://momastery.com/blog/2014/03/06/gratitude-experiment/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Momastery+%28Momastery%29#sthash.lhRhm4Of.dpuf
I have a relentless and heavy hunch that gratitude is THE KEY to peace. I’m not sure we need to change our circumstances, but I think we might need to change the way we SEE our circumstances. - See more at: http://momastery.com/blog/2014/03/06/gratitude-experiment/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Momastery+%28Momastery%29#sthash.lhRhm4Of.dpuf
Mumford and Sons <3 by nat_hollz18

No comments: