Modern

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Two More Days...But Who's Counting?

Only two more days.

Till what, you ask?

Till the end of the month.

So what? Am I really all that excited about March and decorating for St. Patrick's Day?

Well, yes, but that's not what I'm counting down to.

March 1 will mark exactly one month since I've stepped foot inside a Target store.

Can I get some applause???

It has been hard...and yet not hard.

At first, I wanted to go there a couple times a week because I just wanted to see what was new in the Dollar section. Then I would see something in the weekly ad that caught my attention and I wanted to go buy it. Then I'd just want to go there because I was bored and had nothing planned for Parker that day and just wanted to walk around and let him play in the toy aisle.

But as the month went on, I stopped looking at the weekly ad in the newspaper. And then I got out of the habit of going there. And now, I can truly say, I don't miss it.

NOT! I'd be totally lying if I said that.

Truth is, I wanted to go a month without going to Target, not because it's Target. But to prove to myself that I could spend less, and stop impulsive purchasing.

And on that end of things, I've totally succeeded.

But I still miss Target. I'm not gonna lie. And I may just go there on Saturday morning and get a Starbucks and walk aimlessly up and down the wide clean aisles just because I can.

No, I won't do that. But it's nice knowing that I achieved a goal and that I really can live without Target. (First world problems, right?)

And speaking of my goals this year...I thought I'd give you a brief update.

1. Reading more. I finished my second book of the year and have already started my third! I also had a friend give me another book by one of my favorite authors, so I have my next one already lined up as well. I'm telling you, three books is more than I read in 2013. Pathetic? Yes. But at least I'm doing something about it.

2. Spending Less. I already covered this...

3. More Spiritual. I've had early morning quiet meditation time twice a week all month. It's be truly amazing. I am looking forward to it now. I am also the speaker next week at my women's bible study. I'll be leading a discussion to about 70 women about the 4th chapter of Ephesians. It's been really great to write out my discussion and my study questions for the ladies. I've really felt God working through me during the process, and that is just incredible.

4. Be More Appreciative. This one has probably been my hardest one to be consistent with. Because it's not a physical act, or something I can "check off" my to-do list. It's just an overall mental change.
I have found myself pausing before I eat lunch to take a deep breath, look around at my house, my lunch, my sleeping child on the baby monitor...and saying "Thank you God. Thank you for all of these blessings. Thank you for all the little things." I feel like that's progress.
Although if I am truly honest with y'all, I have not done so great about being more appreciative of my husband. I am trying. I have made some changes. I have been making a concerted effort to speak his love language (physical touch), and tell him how I appreciate all that he does.
But I know I could do more.
And I want to do more.
I want him to know that he is the love of my life.
I want him to feel that. And not feel taken for granted.

So, I will continue to work towards my goals.

I will take it one step at a time.

I will applaud my successes and remind myself of where I'm lacking.

We're embarking on the 3rd month of 2014. What goals are you working toward?

Whatever it is...I know you can do it.
 

No comments: