Modern

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A 70th Birthday, and Another Milestone...

Not many people will be too interested in this post, but for my online scrapbook purposes, I would like to include it. So, skip on to your next favorite blog if you don't care to relive my weekend at home. Promise, I won't be offended.

Okay, for those of you who are still here, I went to Orlando last weekend for a very special birthday party. A very special 70th birthday party. I have to admit, it's my first 70th birthday party I've ever attended. But I knew ahead of time, it would be a blast.

See, my dear friend Ashley and I have been best buddies since about 6th grade. We ditched school together for the first time in 7th grade. For a good reason, mind you. We wanted a Coca Cola. We were hot. We had just finished up P.E. in the blazing Florida sun and we wanted a cold soda. We decided it would be a good decision to high-tail it off school property and scurry behind bushes and trash cans until we made it all the way to my house... only to find the housekeepers car in the driveway. DANG-IT!

It's a long story, but we somehow managed to wait for the housekeepers to leave. Went inside. Made grilled cheese sandwiches. And enjoyed an ice cold Coke. AND we made it back to school without getting caught. Or anyone noticing that we were gone for that matter. Hmmm...I wonder how that happened.

Anyhow, this began a long, crazy, wild, hilarious friendship with my gal Ash. We cried to each other over lots of stupid boy drama. We supported each other through many up's and down's in our personal family lives. We helped each other navigate the unsupervised, rebellious first few years of college together as roommates. And then traveled with our other co-conspirator, Jenny, through Europe for three months.

Of course then we were in each others weddings, snuggled each others firstborns, and have had many, many phone calls over the years ranging from parenting, to husband/wife issues, to family and every other topic inbetween.

So needless to say, Ash has been there through it all when it comes to my life. And another person who has been along for the ride, is her sweet mom, Dewease.

She turned 70 last weekend. And we celebrated her.

(L to R) Ash, Dewease, Me & Jenny
It was a party like none other. Live music, great food, great drinks, a wonderful slideshow to commemorate what a great life this lady has had, and tons of friends and family there to love on her. I'm so glad I was able to attend.

Of course, since the party was in Orlando, I brought my little guys with me and we spent some time with my parents.

Nothing like waking up after a long night out, and having a fire going in the fireplace, hot coffee waiting for you and your kids out for breakfast with their "Paca" (my Dad). Spoiled? Yes.
Before we headed back to Tampa, my parents took the boys to their favorite spot... Lil 500 Go Kart track. They LOVE it!

Parker rides with my Dad. How cute are they?!?!

And Mr. Big Boy Payton, rides on the fast track by himself.
I couldn't even get an action shot because he was going so fast!

For me however, the biggest moment of the weekend came silently in the middle of the night on Friday. Somehow, someway, Parker lost his last pacifier. He went to bed with it, but couldn't find it when we woke up. Must have been the paci fairy!

So, the pacifier is gone. One more reminder that he's only a couple weeks away from turning 3 and certainly not a baby anymore.

It makes me happy and sad all at the same time.

I'm ready for the "terrible 2's" to be over. Yet a little weepy that there's no more "baby" in the house.

But I shall embrace this new chapter with excitement and look forward to the new phases that lie ahead.

And I will look back at pictures like these and smile...



This one is my fav.


No comments: