Modern

Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Day Off

Brian had a local work conference this week. Typically this would garner lots of groans and whiny questions like, "How long will you be gone?" and "It's how many days?"

But this time, he planned ahead and asked his parents to come stay with the kids for a night so I could go have one whole day all to myself at a beautiful waterfront resort!

As I've said here many, many times, I adore my kids. I love being a stay-at-home mom. I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing during their formative years. But on the same note, sometimes doing the same things day in and day out can feel a bit like running on a hamster wheel.

What I'm saying is, I love being with my kids every day. But it's really, really important for me to also have a little "me time" every once in a while.

The way I planned for this 24-hour "mini-vacation" one would have thought I was headed out for a week!

I went shopping and got a new magazine, my favorite snacks, a nice bottle of wine, and a great book that I've been wanting to read. I was all set!

When Brian's parents arrived, I quickly went over some kid instructions and then once Parker was happily distracted with Grandpa throwing stuffed animals at him... I was gone in a flash!

When I arrived at the resort, the woman at the front desk handed me a bag and said, "Your husband is so sweet. He dropped this off for you." I was surprised to find out that he had delivered a bag full of my favorite chocolates and other goodies that he knows I rarely indulge in. What a great guy I married!

Then, it was off to check out my room!

This is the view that greeted me when I walked into my room at Beso Del Sol:


The room was beautifully decorated with a tropical feel to it.
Great kitchen (even had a wine opener - love that)
Comfy king-sized bed
Very nice bathroom, although no tub. Boo.

Bath & Body Works travel essentials. It's the small things that get me! :)
After I checked in, I immediately threw on my bathing suit and headed to the pool for some lunch and reading by the water.

The view went on forever!
After some time in the sun, I headed back up to the room and took a nap. I never get to nap! This was such a luxury for me.

Then I took my sweet time getting showered and ready for the evening. I even had the chance to sit down and call my grandmother and have a 40 minute phone call with her. It was so nice to actually talk to her without being interrupted by little people, or feeling like I was under a time crunch.

Then Brian called and said he was coming to meet me at the resort's poolside bar for a drink before we headed to their company dinner that night. We had such a nice time enjoying the view and catching up.
Another guest saw us trying to take a self-portrait with our camera and graciously came over and said, "I'm a photographer, why don't you let me do that for you?"
We had a very nice dinner that evening with Brian's business partners and then headed back to the hotel. There was a huge storm that rolled in and we sat on the balcony and watched the lightning and rain off in the distance. It was quite a show!

The next morning, Brian left to go back to his conference long before I even got out of bed. I enjoyed lingering under the covers while the sun did its best to peek through the thick velvet-backed curtains. Of course, my mommy-trained body couldn't sleep past 7:30, so I got up and made some coffee and enjoyed the beautiful calm waters outside on our balcony.

Upon checking out, I almost felt sad closing the door behind me. Wishing I had another day of calm relaxation. I am hoping next time, we can get away for at least two nights. Although I was so very grateful for the 24 hours of pure "me time" that this mini vacation afforded me.

So, to all of you moms out there. I highly recommend scheduling a little quiet time for yourselves this summer. With all of the hustle and bustle that comes along with having the kids out of school, it's so important to recharge our own batteries. Even if it's just for a couple hours to go sit in a dark movie theater, or enjoying a massage at a local spa. I promise, you'll be happy you did!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You deserve it! So glad you got away.
Brett