Modern

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Seeing the Light

Just when I felt like I could take no more, I think I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Brian seems like he's recovering from the flu and hopefully will be back to 100% by tomorrow or the next day. Parker is still struggling with a cough, and we may end up at the pediatrician if it doesn't clear by tomorrow, but if that's the worst that this week has in store for me, I can handle it.

The mornings have been so incredibly beautiful this week. The temps are lower, humidity is down, and we even got to wear our sweaters this morning for our walk around the neighborhood! Imagine that! :)

We used to walk Rohy every morning together as a family. Then when his hips started bothering him, our walks became shorter and shorter and eventually evolved into just a couple of driveways. After he passed, we stopped walking in the mornings all together. But I have revived the morning walk with Parker the past few days and it's been so nice.

We saunter around the neighborhood while it's still cool out and the birds and squirrels are busy gathering their breakfasts. There are no noisy lawnmowers running and rarely a person in sight. We get to explore Halloween yard decorations, collect acorns, and chatter to the wildlife. It's probably one of my favorite times of day.

Yesterday, Parker discovered that he could climb into the basket underneath the stroller. Apparently it's quite cozy in there because he refused to come out and ride in the stroller seat. Again this morning, he climbed right into the basket and rode down there the whole time. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts!

And yes, I realize that it's probably not the safest place for him to sit, but we are just walking very slowly around the neighborhood, so I think he'll be okay.

One of our neighbors a few houses down has really decked out their front lawn with all sorts of spooky Halloween decorations. I really thought they might scare Parker at first, but no. He loves them so much that every single time we walk past the house he has to greet every ghoul and skeleton and show me how scary everything is.


This morning after our walk, we met up with an old friend up at Starbucks. Before she got there, we had a little mommy-son breakfast date. He sat up at the counter with me and felt like such a big boy!

After we got our coffees, all 3 of us walked over to the fountain and enjoyed the beautiful morning. We got to chat for a long time while Parker splashed his hands in the water, pushed his stroller and made me chase after him more than a couple times. :) It was so nice to catch up with my friend Jen. Now that we have school-aged kids at different schools with different sets of friends and different schedules it's hard to find time to get together. But I realize that we need to do it more often.

And since I didn't have the energy to post these over the weekend, I also wanted to share a few pics my friend Kristen took during the Gator game on Saturday. She has a really nice camera, so enjoy the rare quality of these photos on my blog. ;)
Parker with her sweet daughter, Avery.
Parker enjoying their dog's bed. (He used to do this in Rohy's bed too - I guess it's the perfect size!)

Here's wishing the rest of the week continues to get even better.
I've got a fun girl's trip planned for this weekend, so I'm hoping everyone is healthy in time for my departure (including me!).


No comments: