Modern

Monday, July 30, 2012

Chicago

Brian and I just got back last night from a wonderful trip to Chicago for one of Brian's best friend's weddings. He was quite honored when he was asked to be one of the best men in the wedding, and I was quite thrilled when my in-laws agreed to come stay with the boys while we attended the wedding...alone!
Don't get me wrong, I love my kids. I adore them. But it's so healthy for a husband and wife to go travel by themselves every once in a while. And it was healthy for this mamma to have a couple days to do whatever I felt like doing! Pure heaven!

Brian arrived on Tuesday and spent a few days with the wedding party doing "bachelor things" like attending a White Sox baseball game and eating countless amounts of sausage, Italian beef and Chicago style pizza. I'm sure they also had deep meaningful conversations about what it's like to enter into the sanctity of marriage too... oh wait, these are guys we're talking about.
Anyhow, I flew in on Friday morning (woke up at 4:30 a.m. - yikes!) and my sweet father-in-law drove me to the airport at 5:30 a.m. (double yikes!)
But when I arrived, I just knew it was going to be a super fun trip!
 First things, first... we headed out to one of Brian's favorite pizza places "Papa Passero's." He used to go there after Little League games and grew up ordering take-out from this place. It did not disapoint!
That evening we attended the rehearsal dinner at yet another famous pizza joint called "Gino's East." Again... fabulous food (sorry, I forgot my phone at the hotel, so no pics).

After dinner, we retired back to the resort where we met up with most of the wedding guests at the hotel bar. We hung out, swapped many stories, laughed so much, and really enjoyed ourselves.
The next day, Brian had many wedding-related duties to attend to, so I was on my own all day. Fortunately, for me, my hubby is extremely thoughtful and booked me a 2-hour spa treatment complete with a mani/pedi.
Heaven! 
(This is me soaking my feet while enjoying my coffee.)
 After that exhausting spa experience (ha... ha...) I went downstairs and got some yummy lunch. Then went back to my room, cuddled up in out big cozy bed and watched a movie. It was SO NICE!!! I never get to do that, so I felt completely pampered...and truly relaxed.
After leisurely getting ready & dressed, it was time to take the shuttle to the wedding. I hopped on board with a bunch of Brian's sweet friends and off we went! 

The wedding ceremony took place outside in this quaint little brick courtyard. It was such a beautiful setting. The weather had cooled off to a beautiful, breezy 84 degrees and everyone looked so amazing.

Check out that handsome hubby of mine in his tux!
 The bridesmaids carried yellow & white pinwheels instead of flowers and the groomsmen had matching yellow & white pinwheel boutonnieres. It was such a simple, clever touch.

Then Brett's niece & nephew came walking down the aisle carrying this sign:
It says "Uncle Brett, Here comes your Girl"
How cute is that?!?!?
 The ceremony was so sweet and special. The couple looked so incredibly happy!
 Congrats Brett & Krystyna! We're so happy for you!

The reception was held inside right next to the ceremony site. There were floor-to-ceiling windows and the view was of a beautiful river.
And of course the reception was a time to cut loose and have fun with all of Brian's buddies from high school:
 
 I even got to steal a dance or two with this handsome guy...
 We really had such a great time. It was so fun to just relax and enjoy each other's company.

Of course, I was missing my kiddos too. And worried that Grandma & Grandpa would be pulling their hair out by the time we got home. Boy, was I wrong!

They took the kids to the mall for lunch:
 Played in the play areas and rode the carousel:


Played countless games of stacking cups, Elmo, Wii and who knows what else!
 Bought & set up a huge pool in the backyard:

Snuggled LOTS!
 And maybe enjoyed a chocolate doughnut or two...
I was afraid the kids wouldn't even want to see us when we got home they had so much fun without us there! :)
But fortunately for my sensitive soul, they were very happy to see us!
Grandma even made a big dish of her homemade macaroni & cheese cooking in the oven when she left. And MAN did these kids chow down on it!
 
Thank you so much Mom & Dad for allowing us to take this wonderful trip. We had such a great time, but it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun if we didn't know that the kids were enjoying themselves just as much as we were. You guys were amazing! 
We love you!!!

1 comment:

Brian Heckman said...

Da Bears! I'm so glad you were able to be w/ me there. I love experiencing my awesome chi-town friends w/ you. Dang, Parker looked pretty happy in those pics.