Modern

Monday, January 23, 2012

A time to grieve

This isn't a happy post. It isn't about organizing, or recipes, or shopping, or funny kid things. This post is about the importance of loving people while they are on this planet. Because I tell ya... life is short. I swear I just turned 21, and then I blinked and now I'm 36! WHAT?! 36?!? 
Life goes too fast. 
We really need to stop. 
Look around. 
Take inventory of the people who matter most. 
And then tell them so.
This is a picture of me and my cousin, Wendy. It was taken in January 2010.
 If you look back, you'll see the post I wrote about this super fun vacation we took together with our mothers. 
I'll never forget it.
Unfortunately, it was the last time I'll ever see her.
She died on Friday. Heart attack. We don't know why. We may never know.
But beyond the questions that are constantly swirling around in my head, and the unending sadness that I can't seem to shake. I just have to keep telling myself, "Stop. Look around. Love the ones in your life. Tell them you love them. Don't regret not telling them that you love them."
I loved Wendy so much. She was like the sister that I never had. We started out as pen pals when we first learned how to write. We exchanged letters back and forth and I would get SO excited when I would see a letter in my mailbox from her.
She was one of the first people that I told when I started my period. 
The first person I told when I kissed a boy.
One of the first people I told when I got engaged.
One of the first people I told when I got pregnant.
One of the first people I told when I miscarried.
One of the first people I told when I got pregnant the 3rd time (even before my mom... but don't tell her... sorry mom!)
She was a best friend. A confidant. A supporter. An encourager. A comedian. A sister-like-cousin.
And I miss her so much it hurts.
But I know that she knows that I loved her. That I often prayed for her. That I would have done anything for her. She knew that because I often told her.
And now, I will live with her memories because that's all I have.
She will forever be a beautiful, young woman in my memory.
I love you Wendy.

1 comment:

The Mac Fam said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Stacy.