Modern

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thanksgiving Craft - You can do it too!

Have you been on the web site Pinterest yet? If so, you know how intimidating some of the craft ideas can be. However, once in a while I come upon an idea that I think, "Now, I can do that!" This is one of those... and you can too! It's very easy, and fun for the whole family.
The idea is that you create a "Thankful Tree." Basically, it's a tree that holds a bunch of pieces of paper that lists things you and your family are thankful for. Here are the simple instructions:

1. Find some branches in your yard and strip off any remaining leaves. Then find a large vase that is tall enough to support the branches.
 2. Fill the bottom of the vase with something heavy to support the branches. I used rocks, but you could use shells, marbles, candy corn, the possibilities are endless!
 3. Arrange your sticks however you want your "tree" to look.
 4. Grab some paper (I used some Harvest-themed scrapbook paper) and a circle cutter if you have one (I borrowed this one, but I have it on my Christmas list - hint, hint). Then cut out however many circles you want. I did 15 for each person in our house, and then punch a hole through the top of each one so you can hang it on the tree.
 5. Then, the fun part! Have each person fill out their circles with things they are thankful for. We did ours together after dinner one night, so I ended up writing them all, but Brian and Payton told me what to write. Parker told me his a little earlier. :)

6. When they're done, hang them on your tree!
And "Voila!" Just like that, you're done. I love looking at it throughout the day. It reminds me that it is the season to reflect on all the things we are thankful for, and it makes me pause and think about just how many things we have to be thankful for.

It also makes me chuckle when I catch a glimpse of some of the papers, like one of Payton's that says "Dad's Super Deluxe Chocolate Pancakes." Or some of mine...
"Watching my boys play together"...
and "Sleep".
I hope you will consider making a thankful tree for your house too. :)

No comments: