Modern

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Time passes on...

I should warn you ahead of time, this is a pretty somber post. If you're in the mood for something light, I suggest you just skip this one and read the next post...
My grandfather passed away last night. It wasn't unexpected, but still, the heartache of losing someone is still there. My mind knows that he is no longer suffering from the pains of old age... no longer stuck in bed, breathing through a respirator. He's up and walking the streets of Gold in heaven with God... it's a brand new day for him. My mind knows all of this. But still, my heart is heavy. I am sad for my grandmother who has not known a day without him in over 60 years. I know this transition period will be very difficult for her, and for that my heart aches. I wish I could be up in New Jersey with her and help her go through this grieving process. I want to give her a huge hug and cry with her and tell her that I love her while looking her in the eyes. But, my mom has forbidden me from flying with Parker. She says "he's too young - there is no need for me to be there." But still... my heart aches.
Time passes on, and it reminds me of how we go through such grief, only to be soothed and calmed by our Heavenly Father. I noticed yesterday on my back porch that my calla Lilly is starting to break through the dirt and re-bloom again this year. My dear friend Jenny B. gave me that plant two years ago after our IVF failed. I remember feeling such a sense of loss, pain, and disappointment at that time. I didn't know how I would get through the depression that had set in. It took months, but finally, the Lord healed my heart and allowed me to move forward... not forgetting about the grief, but allowing it to become more distant and manageable.
Now when I look at that Calla Lilly, I don't see the pain of the failed IVF; but rather I see re-birth, renewal, and the wonder of God in that plant (especially when I've never done anything to keep it alive - it's a true miracle that the darn thing re-blooms every year!).
I hope that in a year or even sooner, my grandmother can look at my grandfather's passing not as a sharp painful memory, but rather one of re-birth. He has now been reborn in his heavenly body... one that she will be able to join someday and be reunited for eternity. 

1 comment:

The Mac Fam said...

Beautifully written!