Modern

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Morning

Here it is, 6:43 a.m. on Christmas morning. My little 3 year old tucked tightly in bed sleeping like an angel and I sit here with such great anticipation that I can't sleep. My loving husband's alarm clock went off at 5:45 a.m. and since then I've been awake wondering what this morning will look like once the chaos begins. Right now it's so quiet and peaceful. The tree is decorated so beautifully with perfectly wrapped gifts underneath. There are no torn paper scraps hiding under the couches, no crumbs, drips or spills from the Christmas buffet, no one trying to talk over each other - or over loud toys... just quiet peacefulness. I'm soaking it up and taking a few moments to think back to what it must have been like over a thousand years ago when God sent his son to be born on earth. To become human. To experience pain. What must it have been like when he saw Mary & Joseph hold him and look into his eyes for the first time... knowing that only a short lifespan awaited him. Knowing that he would die a painful death on the cross for our sins. I just cannot imagine.

When I look back on all of the exciting, meaninful, wonderful moments I've experienced in my life, the birth of my son ranks only second to marrying the love of my life. So on this special day when we recognize Jesus' birth, I hope that we will all take a moment to think about the power of a baby being born. How it is such a miracle. How much God loves us to give us His son to be born as a human. It is truly a wonderous day.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: