Modern

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Love of a Child

My little one is sick this week. Fortunately, I don't think it's anything too serious - most likely a stomach virus. But man... he is so sad looking when he's sick. He hasn't had a fever at all, which is wonderful. He just can't seem to keep down any food. I slept next to him in bed all night last night and he hasn't let me out of his sight this morning. So as I sit here and type, I look over at him curled up on the couch sleeping and thank God that he is a healthy child in the grand scheme of things. I cannot imagine parents who have to endure going through a long illness, such as pediatric cancer, with their child. The thought of it makes me physically sick to my stomach. I look at my son and think, "I would do anything for you. I would take your pain if I could. I would give you an organ if you needed one. I would jump in front of a car to save you." Where does this kind of love come from? I think it is something God gives us to help us understand the depth of His love for us. I simply cannot imagine how difficult it was to sacrifice His one and only child on the cross for a bunch of sinners. As a parent, the thought of knowing my child would die and that I would allow it to happen is simply inconceivable. God did such an amazing thing and it makes me think of that Chris Tomlin song, "My Savior Lives" where he sings...

That he (Jesus) would leave His place on high,
and come for sinful men to die...
You count it strange so once did I,
before I knew my Savior.

I don't think anyone who does not have a strong belief in Jesus Christ could ever comprehend what God did for us on that cross. It's just a concept that you cannot fit into logic.

So, as I am getting ready to head out the door to the pediatrician with my son, I just thank God for what He has done for me and remind myself that every single day is a gift from Him.

No comments: